title

Photo by Jason DeVarennes

Friday, December 28, 2012

Blue Moon - Now I'm No Longer Alone - Festive 500

The song played inside my head throughout today's ride, although with slightly revised cycling themed lyrics...
Blue Moon by Lorenz Hart and Richard Rogers

Blue Moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own
Blue Moon
You knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will (ever) hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And when I looked to the Moon it turned to gold

Blue Moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And when I looked the Moon had turned to gold

Blue moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

The sun returned Friday morning. It was quite cold, but at least it was clear. The roads were a bit dicey though. The temps had plummeted overnight and a dusting of snow had fallen. With all the rain from yesterday, there was potential for icy patches hidden under the film of light snow. I probably should have shown better judgement and taken a bike with the winter or studded tire, but I was tired and really didn't want any more of a handicap than necessary.

Yes, I admit it. I am tired. And may not show the best judgement!



I managed to safely make it to the Studio where I saw a small crowd of hardy souls, including Mary, Neil, Scott, Mike, Geoff and Sam. Yeah, now I'm no longer alone! The miles pass so much faster in good company.

I had pulled a fast one and changed today's route, since everyone missed the ride to Blue Moon yesterday. Hmm, what happens when you have two blue moons within two days. Does the universe collapse in on itself? Let me go ask the Mayans!

Actually what happened was our whole group rode together and had a grand time. As the worn out and thoroughly exhausted ride leader, I exercised the prerogative of doing the medium ride,  but encouraged everyone to come back again another day and do the 11 miles we had cut out. Opting for the medium ride would allow us to have a relaxed lunch at the Blue Moon and to get back to RSC and linger over coffee and still let me get home before dark. It was lovely riding with such a gracious and agreeable crowd! And the time did indeed go by quickly.

Misery loves Company. But in this case, there was no misery!

Regular blog readers may spot the theme!

Mirror in the loo of the Blue Moon

A great meal helped warm us all!

Partway through the day, I surpassed the 500km Festive 500 goal! But despite being done and dusted, I did not call a taxi!



A trail thrown in for fun!

Mary powers her way up the trail


Photo courtesy of Mary Baker
Safely back at Ride Studio Cafe, aka the mothership

Lingering over one of Sal's wonderful mochas, courtesy of Sam.
The forecast for Saturday is calling for some snow to arrive in the afternoon. We have a special 105 mile ride planned out to Mount Wachusett, along with a 60ish and 30ish mile option. Mount Wachusett got about a foot of snow yesterday and there is a lot of sand on the roads out that way. We've also gotten reports that the dirt road around the back could be a real mudfest! I am thinking it would be wise to go for one of the shorter rides to avoid getting caught in a blizzard far from the mothership.

RSC will open early at 7AM and serve coffee and free porridge. A couple of folks from Rapha will be joining the fun, and we leave at 8AM. 

I have winter tires mounted and plan to do the 60 at a moderate social pace. John has also mounted winter tires and will lead a fast group, also planning on the 60. It should be an awesome day! Hope to see a good turnout.

#festive500

No comments:

Post a Comment

test