title

Photo by Jason DeVarennes

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Vermonster 2017 - Day 4

The final day was the downhill day. Look at the route profile at the bottom of the page and you'll see what I mean. Sadly after surviving all the climbing on day 3, Kait's stomach rebelled overnight and she felt too sick to ride and called for rescue.

So we were down to four.

Unusual for us, we did have a brief climb at the start, but this helped warm us up as it had gone quite chilly overnight.

But then we got to coast along for hours... Well not really, the guys hammered downhill!










1


2











We stopped for lunch at Shelburne Coffee Roasters, where it was warm enough to sit outside and enjoy coffee and sandwiches.

Here we split up one more time, as Caleb pressed onto Northampton, while John, Jamie and I rolled downhill into Greenfield.

What a fabulous trip. We could not have asked for better weather. Our hosts were all so kind, feeding us and providing us with sweet dreams each night. We've already started planning the next one. As I said at the start, it sure would be nice if Amtrak made it easier for us all to travel up on the same train.



2 comments:

  1. Those roads look amazing.

    I'd also hoped to do an Amtrak-Vermonter-based ride this fall, starting from St. Albans, to Burlington via the islands in Lake Champlain, and ending up in Northampton (from which I'd catch the train). Unfortunately work pressures meant I waited too long, the snow came, and I began to worry about roads being passable. I still hope to get up there next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eli,
      I definitely recommend against doing it in the snow. (See last year's stories). It is pretty cool to have the train as an option.

      Delete

test