title

Photo by Jason DeVarennes

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Keel to Castlebar - Ireland 2016

I woke to mist and fog. I'm so glad that I got out to see Keem the evening before. Always ride out the tailwind. Always take advantage of sunshine!

After blowing the turn a couple of days ago, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get back to Achill and how many times I wanted to do that flat stretch of road between Mulranny and Belmullet. I decided twice was enough, and even though it would mean missing out on the climb to the radar station that Dave had told me about, I opted to head inland and take the road by Nephin to get Windy Gap with Castlebar as my destination for the night.

 
The fog slowly burned off, and I had another great day.

 
The Great Western Greenway is really an amazing path. It was much busier today with lots of families. I was so happy to see folks out enjoying time together on bikes.
 

 
Lots of haying to be done.

 
Hmmm, this road is really looking iffy. But so many roads here look like driveways at home... And it did show as a through road on the OSM maps...

 
Okay, maybe it doesn't go through. At this stage, I pulled out the iPad and checked for an alternative. Fortunately I didn't have to backtrack too much, maybe half a km. In the entire time here, picking out little lanes on online maps has worked amazingly well. This was my only cul-de-sac!

 
The climb up Windy Gap was gorgeous. I don't know where it gets its name. It was quite calm.

 
 

 
How many shades of green?


No comments:

Post a Comment

test